- Low cost: Many of these networked 'things' are low cost. The networking component must also be low cost.
- Low power: Many applications require battery power, and their batteries must last for years.
- High reliability, low "touch": These applications need to run without ever requiring human intervention.
- Highly scalable: Many applications require networking hundreds or thousands of devices.
- A Bluetooth device might last for weeks without a recharge, but not months and certainly not years.
- Bluetooth devices generally expect a human to be in the loop for configuring and maintaining the connections.
- Bluetooth is designed to efficiently handle eight devices (one master and seven slaves). After that, communication rates slow down substantially.
Dig Deeper on BlackBerry operating system and devices
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.