After much anticipation, Research In Motion (RIM) has released its first BlackBerry to include a touchscreen. Subject...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
to many rumors, this release confirms that the latest device contains many of the standard BlackBerry features, such as RIM's SureType keyboard, and several new ones.
As standard for RIM devices, the Storm will include support for corporate and personal features, such as email, text and instant messaging. These features make the device ideal for both consumers and enterprise users. Verizon Wireless has confirmed rumors that it will offer the BlackBerry Storm 9530 for U.S. users. Vodafone will be the European carrier offering the BlackBerry Storm in the near future. However, device availability and price have not been specified.
More about the BlackBerry Storm
The BlackBerry Storm will feature a 480 x 360 touch screen which automatically switches between landscape mode and portrait mode as the user rotates the handset. Users can choose from two virtual keyboards -- a full QWERTY keyboard while in landscape mode or RIM's SureType keyboard while in portrait mode.
Highlights of the BlackBerry Storm include:
- Support for personal and corporate email, as well as text, picture and instant messaging
- Enhanced Web browser with support for file downloading and streaming audio and video (RTSP)
- Preloaded DataViz Documents to Go suite for editing Microsoft® Word, Excel and PowerPoint files directly on the handset
- 3.2 megapixel camera with variable zoom, auto focus, flash and video recording
- Built-in GPS with support for location-based applications and photo geotagging
- 1GB on board memory storage
- microSD/SDHD memory card slot with support for up to 16GB of storage
- Advanced media player, 3.5 mm stereo headset jack, support for Bluetooth stereo audio profile (A2DP/AVRCP) and dedicated volume controls
- More information about the BlackBerry Storm can be found on RIM's Web site. RIM states that the BlackBerry Storm will be available in the U.S. beginning later this fall from Verizon Wireless.
BlackBerry Storm Overview