Mobile device management (MDM) refers to any routine or tool intended to distribute applications, data and configuration settings to mobile communications devices, such as laptop computers, cell phones and PDAs. The intent of MDM is to optimize the functionality and security of a mobile communications network, while minimizing cost and downtime.
The ideal mobile device management tool:
- Is compatible with all common handheld device operating platforms and applications.
- Can function through multiple service providers.
- Can be implemented directly over the air, targeting specific devices as necessary.
- Can deploy next-generation hardware, operating platforms and applications quickly.
- Can add or remove devices from the system as necessary to ensure optimum network efficiency and security.