This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
3. - About corporate app stores: Read more in this section
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 1. - Building a corporate application store
- 2. - App stores: Maintenance, users and corporate progress
Mobile device management (MDM) is the administrative area dealing with deploying, securing, monitoring, integrating and managing mobile devices, such as smartphones, tablets and laptops, in the workplace. The intent of MDM is to optimize the functionality and security of mobile devices within the enterprise, while simultaneously protecting the corporate network.
Mobile device management software allows distribution of applications, data and configuration settings and patches for such devices. Ideally, MDM software allows administrators to oversee mobile devices as easily as desktop computers and provides optimal performance for users. MDM tools should include application management, file synchronization and sharing, data security tools, and support for either a corporate-owned or personally owned device.
The ideal mobile device management tool:
- Is compatible with all common handheld device operating platforms and applications.
- Can function through multiple service providers.
- Can be implemented directly over the air, targeting specific devices as necessary.
- Can deploy next-generation hardware, operating platforms and applications quickly.
- Can add or remove devices from the system as necessary to ensure optimum network efficiency and security.